Travel | 12 Reasons why you must visit Zanzibar
1. Its an archepelago... say no more! But if you need more, an archepelago is a group of islands scattered across lakes or oceans. The two main islands of Zanzibar are Unguja and Pemba.
2. It has some of the most beautiful beaches in Africa, with white sand and turquoise water.
3. Known as the Spice Island, you can find a range of spices and visit spice farms where they grow vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and much more.
4. It is home to Stone Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, known for its elaborate, wooden carved doors.
5. When the tide is out on the East Coast of the island, you can walk out on the seabed for miles.
6. The seafood is insane - a vast selection, freshly caught from the Indian Ocean.
7. It is home to the Red Colobus Monkeys, unique to Zanzibar, and found in Jozani Forest.
8. It is home to adelabra tortoises on Changuu Island, gifts from the Seychelles. Many of them are over 100 years old!
9. It is an excellent place for snorkelling and diving, with incredible marine life including starfish!
10. It is home to the Zanzibar Butterfly Centre - a butterfly farming centre that provides the local community with jobs.
11. It is home to the Mwani (formerly Seaweed Centre) - a seaweed farming initiative, that makes beautiful natural skincare products.
12. At Baraka Natural Aquarium, you can swim with turtles rescued from the ocean by fishermen.
And if you want to a simple guide to planning your own trip, including a day by day itinerary, options of accommodation, activities and a travel checklist, purchase the Talking Drums Travel Zanzibar Itinerary today!